- Where: Farnsworth & West Catalina
- Depart from: 22nd Street Landing, San Pedro-
- When: Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020 OR Saturday, July 25, 2020 OR Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020 OR Nov. 22, 2020
- Time: Board at 5:00 am the day of the trip, depart at 6:00 am with us getting back about 7:00 pm.
- Due to Covid-19 the bunk room is off limits! contact everyone about this before the trip.
- Cost: $225.00 includes, 3 dives, food, drinks & air Limited to 14 divers
- New Boat Rules: Please read before signing up for the trip
- ALL TRIPS are weather dependent
Farnsworth Bank is a large seamount consisting of several pinnacles and it is half a mile wide from east to west. It is situated five miles south from the back side of Catalina in the open ocean. It is therefore exposed to all weather conditions and can have strong currents at times. Farnsworth is an ecological reserve where purple hydrocoral is protected and the only hunting that is allowed is for pelagic fish. The shallowest area is about 55′-60′ deep and most of the dive is like a wall dive with lots of crevices where fish and some morays hang out among all the purple hydrocoral. If conditions are good we will stay and do two dives at Farnsworth before heading to another dive site.
Along with Farnsworth, the West end of Catalina and the backside of Catalina has some excellent dive sites and with all the kelp that is growing at them you just can’t go wrong. Some possible sites are Cape Cortez, Eagles Nest, Wild West and more.
This trip is best suited for
Advanced divers and above that have experience in cold water conditions including; current, swell, kelp, possible limited visibility and possible deep water. Dive sites are to be determined by "BEST CONDITIONS" based on water visibility, tides, current, surge, swell and wind. Good buoyancy control and surface signal tubes are always recommended.